Friday, June 12, 2009

Is Love For Sale?

(Picture This) A man walks into a grocery store and asks the door greeter, "Do you know what isle I can find love on"?




I was talking with the fellas one day and we started discussing how it appears that a large majority of females in Metro Atlanta are looking for a baller aka a man with plenty of money. One can only come to such a conclusion when pondering how someone like Lil Wayne can pull such overly attractive women on a consistent basis. Everyone knows that if he was an average guy, he wouldn't get nearly the play that he gets. I know some may say that this sounds like I'm hating. It just brings me back to the subject at hand, "is love for sale"? There is one common denominator in the following names: Lil Wayne, Biggie Smalls, Jermaine Dupri, and the list goes on and on. The common value in this equation of men is they all have money. I posed this question to the female members of my family at a recent cookout. An overwhelming majority said that "yes", love is for sale. Everyone remembers the lyrics from some old songs, "no money, no honey, no cash, no ass". Or, who can forget the famous, "romance without finance is a nuisance". I didn't want to believe that a price tag can be put on an emotion as strong and as important as love.

It's kind of sad in a way. If your family is anything like mine, your grand parents and great grand parents didn't have a whole lot of possessions, but they had genuine love for one another, because all they really had in this world was each other. It's almost like love has been replaced with Bentley's, 5, 000+ sq. ft. homes, expensive jewelry, etc. If you can provide those things, then you will have people lining up at your door waiting to love the hell out of you.

I have concluded that genuine love is not for sale. You can not buy genuine love from anyone. You only purchase a watered down version of what love is suppose to be. You will get all the things that come with love, like sex and quality time. The only problem is, the knock-off version of love expires as soon as the money does. Therefore, in today's dating word, relationships have almost become a business transaction. It has become no different from the arrangement you have with your employer. You provide a service, and you get paid for it. If your employer told you that he or she wanted you to continue working, but they could no longer pay you for it, you wouldn't show up the next day, regardless of whether you needed the money or not.

I know there can't be that many ballers in Atlanta. It may be one for every 5,000 females that are on the hunt for Mr. Moneybags. Sounds like these females will have a better chance of catching an STD than a baller. I guess this explains why men in Atlanta go through such great lengths to create the illusion of a baller. I can hear them at the Rim Shop now, "I don't have to be a baller, I just need her to think that I am."

Most females will say, who wants a guy with no car or there own place to live. If your one of those females that require some basic needs, then your not included in this discussion.

2 comments:

  1. You are the one that told me that all men are just out looking for for the sweet thang and that basically all of them cheat. Doesn't look like none of them are looking for true love anyway, and only get married becasue you force them or give an ultimatum. So where does that leave us. I had this discussion with my home girls the other day. We are all walking around here dating these bustas and assholes that are broke. My new philosophy is, if I'm going to date somebody that ain't hitting on nothing anyway, he might as well be a baller. What's in his pocket dawg, BIG FACE HUUUUNDIIIDS! He got plenty money!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deep stuff. I can certainly see both sides. Thanks for the intriguing topic. Oh and thanks for the well wishes regarding my summer in Guam. The travel is nice, but it's certainly been a sacrifice. 7 miles away from family and friends makes you appreciate the sublte things in life. But a girl gotta take opportunities where she can to stay marketable in this economy. Look forward to kickin it when I'm back in the A.

    ReplyDelete